Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy Halloweenie


The kids are growing up so fast!

The other day I went to pick up the Girl at school, and she demanded that I guess what she won that day. A race, I guessed? No. A spelling bee? No. Another poster contest? No.

Finally she told me she'd been voted onto Student Council! She's always been so cute and talented and athletic, but she's blossoming in other ways. Now she's starting to think of herself as smart.

She's been driving me crazy, tho. She's figured out how to get on Nickelodeon online, and plays a video by a bunch of cute little boys, singing, "Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-zy car! Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-zy car! It leads me no where, leads me no where..." I told her from now on she has to listen to it using earphones, as it was giving me a headache. Why won't that car take them anywhere? What good is this crazy car?

The Boy got really mad at me when I told him he was too old to go Trick or Treating. He gave us such a hard time, that when I came around to thinking maybe it was OK, I didn't feel like giving in to him and letting him think acting like a brat was going to help.

But we talked it through and I took an informal poll at my work, and it seems there's no set age to stop going out for candy. As long as they're wearing a costume. I just remember as I got older, people started asking me if I wasn't too old to be Trick or Treating. And the boy is a Junior in High School! He's 6'3" for heaven's sake! (almost)

I just didn't like the idea of bands of older boys traveling about at night, but really he's a pretty good boy. When I think of all the truly scary things he could be doing, being a brat is pretty mild. Things his father and I were possibly doing... I don't even want to think about it.

After our fight, I looked over at the Girl, and she gave me a sad look. I asked what was wrong, and she said, "I NEVER want to be too old to go Trick or Treating!"

It's sometimes sad to grow up, I know.

It was kindof a strange day, as the people next door finished their move out. I hadn't taked to them about it much (mad that they didn't use me as their realtor), but I said goodbye as I saw them finishing their last few things. She said she was going to rent for a year, but didn't mention her husband. We suspect that they're splitting up, mostly because we hadn't seen him in a long time.

Later that day I saw a tall Pirate go into the house. I think he's the new owner. I hope he's a nice Pirate. I hear he's a musician who wants to use the basement as his recording studio. He must have a lot of money to have bought that house, but what single man needs a house that big? And what musician wants to live in the suburbs?

These and many other mysteries will no doubt be solved over time...

No comments: