Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fur, crying, and 1-hour books

Fur

Last night I started watching the movie "Fur" on the Sundance channel because the info said it was about the photographer Diane Arbus (starring Nicole Kidman). I had seen a photo of hers of the Disney castle with a swan out front that looked slightly menacing, and because of that I was interested in learning more about her.

Anyway, the movie had her falling in love with Robert Downey Jr, who was a hairy man out of a freak show. How they got these people to be in this movie is beyond me. Every time K tried to watch it with me, he started getting depressed and asked me to change the channel, but I argued that I wanted to see it because it was true. (even if farfetched) So he kept leaving. It got very strange at the end.

Then I got to the credits and saw that it was a "fictionalized account" of her life. I was a little ticked off about that. I was unaware of her preoccupation with freak-show and circus (and naked) people, but I prefer to think it was a reaction against an upbringing where everything looked perfect.

I looked up her husband later, as the handsome Ty Burrell from Modern Family played him. Turns out Allan Arbus went on to become an actor, and played Dr. Friedman in MASH.

I thought that was interesting, although Diane's pic of Disneyland isn't mentioned online as one of her more famous photos.
----------------

I may have mentioned that I tear up easily. Even in movies that aren't sad, if something touching happens I get all teary.

A few weeks ago I was reading a book that wasn't even sad - "Shopaholic and Sister." Who would cry at that, right? But she was just so misunderstood in the book, and tears just kept escaping from my eyes, prompting K to ask me, "Are you enjoying your book?"

Then a new movie came on TV, "Love Happens." It really got sad at the end when the main character relives the death of his wife, and I was off crying again. It got so bad that I had to go downstairs and hide because my eyes were all red and puffy and I didn't want to have to explain it to my kids.

======================

By the way, Jenny McCarthy has been out promoting her new book, "Love, Lust, and Faking it." I saw it in the library, so I decided to take look at it. I was looking for dish about what happened with Jim Carrey, and I really enjoyed reading about her son's autism.

I read nearly the whole thing in an hour in the library, and there's NO DISH in there about Jim Carrey! So, no need to buy it. It's just her opinions or things that happened to her - her first boyfriend, etc. It has some good advice in there I guess (don't expect that just because you date a loser that he's going to appreciate it/you.)

I already told my daughter that, so that's not news to me.

No comments: