Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Almost Famous

One (the only) thing that kept the bad soccer day from being a total loss, is that K got a call from Sports Illustated the week before. The department cleared him to talk to them, and it was just sort of a dream. Who gets to talk to Sports Illustrated?

On Sunday, after the Girl got her red card, we got a call from a fact-checker about pictures. Did we have any pictures of the team?

Anyone who knows me knows I take a LOT of pictures. But I got a little ticked at both sides of my family last year, and thought, "Really? You guys need to mess with me? All I ever do is try to be nice and give people pictures!" So that was it, no more pictures from me.

Because of this, I haven't posted any of my pictures to my usual picture sites (shutterfly) where I can easily find them. They were just all in the computer, where I'd downloaded them from my camera.

But my computer had finally gotten a virus so bad that I none of my usual tricks worked to fix it. How the heck was I going to get to all my pictures? I hadn't backed them up for a long time.

It was a long drive home, but when we got there, I turned on the computer and tried different ways of booting it to try and bypass the virus. I ended up only being able to restore to default, which it said would not delete any DATA files. I could only hope that pictures were considered data files.

We left to scan some photos other people had taken, and ran into trouble at Kinkos. We scanned all the pics, but at the end it wouldn't let us save to CD, so we had to start all over again. Argghhhh! So frustrating. At the end K complained that in one picture we had cut off the top of his head. I was overwhelmed at the thought of figuring out how to fix it, so I told him that it was just his hair, and moved on.

I was bummed out because I was pretty sure I'd deleted all my pictures, and thought it was some sort of poetic justice because I'd been such a snit about pictures and now it was coming around to bite me in the ass!

When I checked my computer, I found my pictures were still there! So we picked the best ones, loaded them into an email or three, and sent them to SI.

Later they said that their favorite pic was mine! I was almost going to get a photo credit in SI!

Well, almost. They ended up not running any pictures.

But at least my computer got somewhat fixed, altho I had to take it offline. And I spent the next week archiving my pictures onto CD's and flash drives.

So I dodged a bullet there, but we did lose all our iTunes. That hurts.

No comments: