Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lucky


Last week started on a down note, as I still wasn't feeling well. I think my hormones are all over the place right now, and Tuesday I was up all night and feeling weak in the morning, so I called in sick to the school.

Later that morning, my Tax boss called and said they had an emergency in the office closest to me, and could I please come in and help out. I said I'd get ready and see how I felt. Well, I felt like the worst was over, so I called and told her I'd come in.

The office WAS busy. The second return I did was for an older couple who were SO nice. The wife kept asking me questions about my heritage, my family, everything. She asked what I did besides taxes, and I gave her my other card. Next thing I knew they were saying they'd like my help with that, too!

Suddenly, everything was looking up. But now that I have reason to think I might have enough sales to stay in my office, I know that I don't want to anymore.

I went to vote and picked up the Girl.

After I went home, my problem started back up again. I called my Mom for sympathy, and next thing I knew she was demanding that I go to the doctor NOW and demand that they find out what is causing this problem and fix it immediately!

So I called Kaiser who put me through to an Advice Nurse, who advised me to go to Urgent Care after 5:30. So I went to The Boy's game (they won) and afterward went to Kaiser while S stayed with the Girl. I waited 3 hours, and in the end never got to see anyone. The election results were coming in and a nice girl from I think Lithawania was talking with me about politics, etc. She was asking me what they meant by "the evangelical vote." She was really nice.

So at 10 pm they cleared everyone out, and I was sent home to hopefully live another day. Stupid problem.

Wednesday morning I threw up at 3:30am, and ended up calling in sick again. I remember times when I felt my family had forgotten about me, or didn't really care. For instance, I couldn't get anyone interested when I had to do an Amniocentisis 11 years ago .

Well, they made up for it in spades by bugging me now to resolve this health problem with Kaiser NOW! It's been a long time since I've lied to my parents to get them off my back, but I found myself just wanting it to end! I love it that they care about me, but sometimes they come on a little strong.

Thurs - I missed the Boy's game to take the Girl to practice. Went to Trader Joes, the library, and then took The Girl home. The Boy's team won - now they're going to playoffs.

Fri - Not too eventful. Finished taxes - printed out to take home.
Took The Girl to basketball practice.

Sat - 11am game in Camarillo - continued from rained out Sunday last week. Beat a Blue team 2-0. The Girl took a great shot on goal, but the goalie hit it away with one hand and The Girl looked amazed. She saved the day 2x on defense. Had Chinese food near home for late lunch. Started cleaning house for company on Sunday.

Basketball game that night - won 22-6, The Girl scored 8.

Sun - 8am game in Moorpark - a little closer than Camarillo. Beat another Blue team 2-0. First half going into sun, couldn't score. Second half The Girl passed to Mary who scored. Then Mary passed to The Girl who scored. Yay!

Two things happened in that game I'd never seen before. First, the ref gave The Girl a card - I thought it was a yellow card. Turned out it was a WHITE card - a warning before you get a yellow card! After the game was over, after the girls slapped hands and everything, one of our best players ran off saying "I've got to get to Mass!" Then the other team started complaining about the time, and the ref made us all come back onto the field and play 8 more minutes! Too bad one of our best players had already left! We still won anyway.

So next week we get to go to San Diego! Came home and finished cleaning house. I also finished the book, "Harm Done" by Ruth Rendell, which was pretty good.

The Boy came home and let us know he'd pierced both his ears the night before. A great way to get ready for playoffs, eh?

Our friends came for dinner, The Boy was at work, The Girl sleeping over a friend's. Clam chowder with wild rice, loaf of bread, 3 bottles of wine!

Yum.

So right now we're feeling so lucky. Both our kids are doing well, both their teams are going into playoffs. We have nice friends. My parents are giving me lots of attention.

How did I get so lucky?

No comments: