Friday, February 01, 2008

Crafty


Over the Thanksgiving holidays, I decided to get crafty with some pill boxes I have. I take medicine whenever I get migranes (2x/month or so), and it comes in these sturdy containers.

I get three a month, and I always save them because it seems such a shame to throw them away. Part of me wonders why these pills need such special containers to keep them from being crushed. Anyway, I've been looking for a way to recycle them.

So, taking a break from cooking over the holidays and feeling entitled to work on a project, I took my small suitcase full of collage materials and sat down with K to watch DVDs of last season's Friday Night Lights.

As I watched I'd also pick out a paper I liked, tear and mold it to fit, then glue it onto the pill box and let it dry. Later I came back and added embellishments to my heart's content. I really enjoyed it and I think they turned out pretty cute. I don't know what you could use them for besides money or pills - they're slightly too small for business or credit cards :-(

Maybe I'll try to sell them. If it works, I'll make more.

What do you think?

Then before Christmas, I went to the library and found a book called "Crochet Patterns for Dummies." I don't really think I'm a dummy, but I'd like to find a few simple patterns I could make. Well, I started with a hat, and soon I was crocheting round and round making the hat bigger all the time.

K came home and told me about a problem at work. He went on and on and finally stopped. I said, "I'm sorry to hear that, honey. But how do you like my hat?"

He laughed and that cheered him up.

I enjoyed it at first, then I got more critical about the outcome of the hat. With a scarf, it isn't so easy to see something that doesn't look right. But a hat is on the head, and it's obvious if the seam looks funny or there's a hole here and there.

A few of the hats turned out huge. HUGE!! Some nights I've sighed and thrown my yarn down. K asks, "What's wrong?"

And I answer, "Stupid HAT!"

So I played around with the patterns and decided that I like hats that just crochet around and around, so that way you're not left with an ugly seam.

No comments: