Monday, June 26, 2006

Ready to exhale

I guess the other day was a lucky day - later, my pain-in-the-ass client called me to tell me to cancel the rental deal I'd been trying to put together for him. After taking a full week last week to get the other agent the paperwork we'd promised, they felt that not getting the signatures right away was a sign of something bad. I'm not sure what - they didn't seem to trust anyone anymore. Not the other agent, not the owners, not even me. This after negotiating the rent DOWN $300 a month from the last year, when all market indications are that the agent could easily have asked for MORE next year.

They felt that not getting a fully executed contract back to them by Thursday was a dealbreaker. I did not realize that this was so, and was trying to help them manage their many fears and not squelch the deal with this generous other agent, because they were starting to seem like pain-in-the-ass tenants. They even consulted a lawyer to make sure they could get out of the deal on Thursday. I wonder how much they had to pay that lawyer, and what it's going to take to get paid myself.

So anyway,I'm glad to have them out of my life now. There's no way I would want to help them again. So I'm lucky to have gotten out of it. I was beginning to be afraid that they were going to get me into some kind of trouble.

I haven't figured out a good spot for a garden in my new yard, but I missed having a garden of some sort. So I planted a few big pots with some basics (salsa, anyone?), and I'm Miracle-growing and hoping for the best.

No comments: