Monday, September 04, 2006

Vacation rundown

We took three weeks off and drove to Colorado by way of Las Vegas. We took the dog with us, so we couldn't stay in the Flamingo, which bummed K out (or he just likes to complain about the dog.) But we stayed across from the Hard Rock, right after it was in an episode of Entourage, so that was fun.

We saw lots of family and old friends, and mostly had a great time. We also spent time trying to rent out our new duplex, but didn't have much luck with that. My friend (the realtor) was in the hospital the entire time, so I'm still worried about him.

On the way back we stopped in Salt Lake City, which we'd never been to before. Home of my beloved "Dooce." First we drove through Wyoming, which was nearly excruiatingly boring. Utah was much prettier, although I was surprised to find SLC is not that big. It seems about the size of Colorado Springs. I like all the old buildings that have been renovated, I liked the looks of the college, and it seems to have lots of cute neighborhoods.

On the down side, it seems that industry has precidence over tourism. Nearly everywhere we went, it seemed we could see a big factory or refinery or mining operation. A huge mining operation in the mountains(Bingham Canyon Mine) is a blight on what otherwise would be beautiful scenery. The Great Salt Lake was not so great. It was the trip's biggest disapointment - even the marina seemed dead and full of flies. I bet if we had gone to another part of the lake it must surely look better (if not smell better!)

On the last day, we hiked to Tipanagos Caves, which are 1.5 miles UP the mountain. I really enjoyed the caves, although I nearly died getting there. It was really embarrasing being passed by little kids who just strolled up the hill with their parents (who are evidently much younger than me!) K tried to make me feel better by claiming there were people we passed who never made it up there, but I'm not sure that's true.

It made clear to me how out of shape I am, and how fat I'm getting. As much as I've tried to change my eating habits and get some exercise, clearly it isn't enough. I guess my only option at this point is to start seriously exercising and training for... something.

Being around family had its usual pitfalls of people doing things I don't understand and I'm not allowed to ask about. But I've decided that instead of dwelling on those confusing and difficult events, instead I'll try to dwell on the NICE things people have done for me:

-Nice Things-
Mom made a special meal because I requested it. She bought the kids some great school clothes and probably spent way too much money.

My sister highlighted my hair.

My mother-in-law sent us money to help with the trip. She also had Pepsi on hand for me to drink, because she knows I like it.

Another sister offered to help me with the duplex. Another sister offered to let us have the keys to her house so we could watch Entourage when she WASN'T EVEN THERE! This was before we realized my parents do indeed still get HBO.

My husband made me coffee this morning, and is trying to recharge my car battery, which I accidently drained before our trip.
--------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures