Thursday, October 30, 2008

Commercials

One of my pet peeves is commercials, and how badly they're screened for young children. My young kids didn't need to see scenes from scary movies, but ads for them run at all times, not just after 8pm.

What I don't understand are the recent political commercials about California's Prop 8. Prop 8 is a proposal to ban gay marriage, something we've already voted on anyway. In the ads, a child brings a book home from school and says that she learned in school that boys can marry boys. A couple claim that this happened in their state, and when they complained, they were told they had no right to have their child not taught that.

So... they're objecting to their kids hearing that in school? Buy aren't you telling them about it now on TV? Aren't you in fact telling every kid that watches TV in California about this new concept? So is it they don't want their kids to KNOW about gays, or they just want to teach them that it's not right? Can't they do that at home anyway? I just don't get it.

I love it that my daughter doesn't even see an issue about having a black president or understand what it could be about, and I really think that this generation will come to feel the same way about gay people.

I must say, though, that the ads for the other side have been awfully dry. A strict-looking couple say that they have a gay daughter and it would be WRONG to treat her any differently. Finally they've come out with an Ellen ad which is a little more friendly. I think they should have focused more on the human aspect of not being able to visit someone in the hospital and things like that.

It doesn't matter anyway. Like I said, we already voted on this (conservatives won, I believe), and the courts overturned it. Why are we voting again?

No comments: