Friday, October 10, 2008

Ambush at Breakfast


When I got back from vacation, there was a flyer in my box at work about a breakfast they were having at a local Country Club. I like breakfast and really any free meal, so I was all in. The flyer promised an "Extravaganza", said, "you don't want to miss this!" and that there was a "guest speaker" with "new marketing ideas."

I was looking forward to it! Even tho I'm not a big fan of this country club's food. Breakfast!

I was only 5 minutes late, but when I got there, everyone was already eating! But they brought mine out very quickly, and it was GREAT! That should have been my first clue that something was amiss. It was a delicious blend of spinach and eggs, served with bacon and potatoes. There were also baskets of toast and rolls and fresh orange juice.

After we ate, my boss talked a little bit and handed out a few awards, as I expected. Then she went on to say that many people have wanted to buy her business over the years, and finally the right company approached her at the right time, as she's getting older and it's a big responsibility, etc., etc.

She sold the company! To the company across the street that I decided against to work with her instead! One lady burst into tears. Many of those people have been with her 20 years or more.

Then she went on to say that the owner of THAT company was here and wanted to talk to us. This was our "guest speaker"! Well, he came in and opened up this bag, and said he had a bag for each of us that already included our business cards and name tag and tee shirts with the new logo on them, and all the info we'd need to make the transition.

He kept bringing things out of the bag, and the lady next to me kept exclaiming, "Holy Mother of God!"

Then, he went on to say that he'd brought people from the company to meet us and give us more things and answer our questions. With that, he opened the door to the room next door, where people from that company had tables set up with information and bags and other things on them. They handed us mimosas as we walked into the room. I took one even tho it was a weekday morning, because all of a sudden I NEEDED A DRINK!

No one really looked me in the eye and looked very welcoming, so I slipped out and went home. I took a few days just to let things kindof sink in, and then I did some checking around. Even tho they'd made it so easy to stay, I decided to take my marbles down the road and gamble on another company.

Some of you may remember that I just changed companies about 6 months ago. I finished notifying everyone, and now I have to start all over again! Hopefully this company will be stable for awhile.

No comments: