Saturday, December 08, 2007

That time of year


This is the time of year that mailboxes explode. Today I came home from the store to find this on my doorstep! It's HUGE! Heavy too.

As for my Computer Class job, it's going OK. I've noticed that the school goes thru quite a few teachers. The middle school is on their 3rd teacher so far this year (I think this one will stay.) My little friend who thought I was beautiful is gone, but other kids hug me sometimes. I've had to get stricter for various reasons, but they've seemed to take it OK.

K suggested I try to work more hours there, since it pays well. But I had a nightmare recently that they asked me to start substituting for a teacher that didn't show up one day. I don't think I would like that. 2 days a week I can take.

The Boy got hurt in practice, so is taking a few weeks off from playing with his team. We're still waiting for the results of the MRI. He usually gets hurt every year (broken wrist, stitches), so we're thinking he got it out of the way early this year. One boy got kicked off the team, and his parents are heartbroken. These boys have played together at least 7 years now and the families are fairly close. so a lot of us are sad.

Talking to the mother, I've really come to understand that playing with this coach has killed all the joy of basketball for my son, and her son too. Now I understand that The Boy's been unhappy about favoritism and the unfairness of the coaches mood. I think I understand now how insecure the coach must be, to treat his players like this.

It's very punishment oriented. If a player makes a "mistake" on the court, he's immediately yanked and yelled at. Except if he's a favorite. This does not help a player's confidence. This year some of the seniors aren't starting, because he's trying to groom players for next year. It's like he doesn't care if they have a good senior year or not.

I know that sounds naive, but it's not like they've been winning so much. I've always looked to coaches to nurture my boy, to guide him and help shape him, not tear him down. Is it so wrong to let the Seniors have a good year?

Anyway, the Girl's soccer season is over, but they still practice and will play some tournaments. She's practicing for basketball right now, but that season won't start until January. She works very hard on her homework, but it takes her forever to write something. This is because every time she writes a new sentence, she'll read it over from the beginning to make sure the new sentence sounds right. I can only hope she gets over this someday.

No comments: