Sunday, December 09, 2007

Holiday Party

It's also the time of year for work holiday parties. It's one of the only perks we still get, and I've been looking forward to it. All my work projects fell apart early in the week, tho, and I haven't felt like going in to work all week. So I didn't.

But I went to the party. It was at Red, White, and Blues in Pasadena. I got a drink (everyone was drinking Pom Poms - a drink with pomogranate juice!) and wandered around talking to my friends -blah, blah, blah, la, la, la. Then we sat down to eat. The food was SO excellent - pumpkin ravioli that tasted very holidayish. It tasted a bit like pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cream, and even anise. It was sprinkled with lots of pistachios. Very delicious.

I was enjoying myself, but noticed that the receptionist, who was sitting near me, appeared to be unhappy. "What's wrong, Pat? Why don't you look happy?" I asked her. She just shrugged and poked glumly at her ravioli. She said, "Because I'm not drinking." "Well then, drink!" someone told her.

After awhile, I started asking where Vanessa, the marketing coordinator, was. Everyone turned to me in surprise. "Weren't you at Monday's meeting?" they all asked. No, I can't go to those anymore because I'm somewhere else on Mondays (the computer teacher job.) "Vanessa's gone! The Boss is gone too! Didn't you know?"

No, I heard nothing about it! How drastic! Vanessa was gone the very next day! She didn't even come to the party, which I think is terrible. She should definitely have been invited. I heard they hooked her up with a new job, but still. And my Boss is going back into sales. What?

It seems a manager from another office will manage two offices now, and the Boss will go work in another office. Also, they're going to somehow get by with one receptionist for both offices.

So that's why the receptionist was so glum.

This is very drastic, and has the smell of cutbacks about it. This makes me worry for the fate of the office, as this might be the first step in shutting it down. And who else will lose their jobs because of this?

Well, I guess I won't have to worry about what to do about my Boss anymore...

Hopefully.

At least I had a delicious lunch and two Pom Poms.

No comments: