Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Philosophically Bent

OK, a couple of things happened within my immediate family, but neither seemed very significant in the long run, and I think we all came out of it OK. Nothing drastic.

But I keep having dreams about someone who likes me. A lot. Often it seems like an old boyfriend - not someone I miss or anything. What's the deal with this? Did somebody die and is trying to get in touch with me? Is someone thinking about me? And if so, why? It was SO long ago.

It's nice to think somebody out there is drawn to me. But maybe it's just myself.

Since I've been meditating (as part of my Lent Challenge)I've been asking and asking what my purpose in life is. The current path I'm on seems so difficult at times that I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing.

Once I thought I heard "To bring joy." and I like that one. I'm not sure how I'd accomplish this, but I guess I could try. I also heard "To raise awareness" but it didn't say of what. But I'm not sure those were true messages. They were rather faint and could have just been my imagination.

But, thinking of bringing joy, it occurred to me that if one is indulged enough by others to live life in some way their own way, that one is therefore obligated to try and be a happy person! Because they are indulging you by loving you, you should try to bring them joy.

And since I'm getting so philosophical, I noticed at the local high school that there was a couple of teens outside kissing. That's so different from my high school, where people were hanging out in couples all over the place. It seems like these days, kids don't really date one on one very much. They hang out in groups and somehow manage to hook up.

That seems so different from me, and even my husband, who wanted to get into relationships fairly early in our teens. Not that we always did or that it worked out, but I think that was the number one preoccupations in my high school.

I wonder if it's because of the change in attitudes toward parenting. Parents these days are much more into their kids and what their kids are doing. When I was young, children were to be "seen and not heard." I wonder if this made us more prone to seek out relationships in our teens. Teens these days don't seem to have those same relationship needs. Maybe it's because they have better relationships with their families.

Well, it's an idea. It's a theory I'm working on.

No comments: