Thursday, June 03, 2010

Interesting

Lately my life has been a little too interesting. For instance, I went out for a walk yesterday with K and my dog. Our home is in a hilly area, and we've been trying to get into shape hiking up the hills.

We were almost home when a little girl who was riding her bike asked if she could pet the dog. I was about to answer her when K yelled out, "Don't hit your sister!" and I looked up to see the little girl's older sister barreling down the hill toward us!

She didn't seem to know how to use her brakes, as that never seemed to be an option. It all happened so quickly. She could have turned, but she was going too fast. She could have hit her sister, me, or the car. But she aimed for the space in back of the car, and went flying off the retaining wall into our neighbor's yard!

I don't know HOW she didn't get hurt, but she landed on a bouncy horse which could also have been bad, but it seemed to have broken her fall. K picked her up out of the rubble of her bike and the horse and only her wrist seemed to be hurt. It's strange that our neighbor even has one of those, as they don't have any children! Not young ones, anyway.

When we got home we could laugh about how bad it could have been, but just because she was OK. It was very nearly tragic. I asked K, "But the horse was OK, right?" and he said, "Uh,... no."

On another front, I'm still in play for jury duty. The few times I've gone, they've been full of very hard questions (What's the hardest decision you ever had to make?) that have been heavy on my mind. Of course I'm not thrilled about having to "judge" someone else, but then it's the system we have. I wasn't trying to get out of it, but ultimately I don't really know if I'm capable of making the decision they're asking me to.

Or if I really want to sit and listen to all the bad things that have happened to get to this point.

So that's been heavy, but I do love going downtown. I take the little Dash downtown bus for a quarter, and I can go all sorts of interesting places. Next time I'll try to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), as I hear they'll let in jurors for free.

I also like to go to Union Station as it's so retro and cool. Olvera street is right nearby, too.

Off-season tax work so far has been fraught with headaches, but then I guess most people that come in at odd times usually have some sort of problem with the IRS. I like helping people and everything, maybe the hours were just too long. But right now I'm on a break because of jury duty, and might try to stay off the tax schedule for awhile.

And make more money, hopefully, doing other things.

No comments: