Monday, June 09, 2008

Just media notes

There have been a few things lately that I've felt like commenting on, but I keep forgetting.

For one thing, at the end of the last post I forgot I'd stayed up to watch SNL the night before Mother's Day. They featured a band with a strange name - "My Morning Jacket", but their song was SO good! They started with a great guitar hook and then really jammed out a song called, "I'm amazed." I'd been recording it since it was late and I was likely to fall asleep, and the next day I played it over and over for K and The Girl. Both agreed it was a jamming song.

Next, have you ever heard of the "Big Head" theory in Hollywood? They say it's better to have a big head because it looks better on the big screen. And if you notice, most "Stars" have big heads!

So on American Idol, when I saw the size of David Cook's head compared to Ryan Seacrest's head, it was clear to me that he was going to win. His head was way bigger than David Archuleta's head. I thought it was a great finale. I loved how ex-contestants sang songs from famous people (Donna Summer, George Michaels), then the artists came out themselves and sang a new song. I loved DC singing with ZZ Top. The decision announcement was also entertaining, with the winner crying, the loser looking grateful, and lots of fireworks.

Great!

I think David Archuleta would be good in a Disney TV show, like High School Musical.
------------------------
A video that really bothers me is Madonna's "Four Minutes to Save the World." She skips around looking fierce and walking on people's tables while they're trying to eat. Justin Timberlake does a few spins and adjusts his scarf, but neither one of them is doing anything about saving the world!

Huh. That's not very productive. With 4 minutes to save the world we should all grab a boy or a girl?
-----------------------------

Recently I saw that one of my favorite authors, Michael Connelly, had a new book out, "The Overlook". I bought it and took it home to read, but it kept referring to the previous book, "Echo Park." I couldn't remember the story or the outcomes the Overlook was referring to, so I went and checked "Echo Park" out of the library.

Turns out, I hadn't read it! So, joy of joys, I got to read TWO Harry Bosch books back to back! Days of fun, I tell you what. There's nothing like finding out you're backed up on reading one of your favorite authors.

--------------------
Yesterday on Oprah, Reba was on, singing duets with people who were with her on her new album of duets. It may have been an old show, I don't know. Anyway, she sang "Because of you" with Kelly Clarkson. First Reba took the high harmony and Kelly sang the chorus. Then they switched and Kelly sang the high part and Reba sang the chorus. It was beautiful.

That's a really sad song, though. I like to believe that a person can try to make their own life in spite of what they experienced as a child.

Anyway, Oprah brought up that Kelly had been having a problem with her producers not wanting some of her songs. Kelly downplayed it, saying it was normal, and Oprah said that Kelly writes about her life, and that was her message to the producers.

Actually I agree with her producers. I'm tired of songs about breaking up from Kelly. She's made at least two albums about that topic by now, and I'd like to hear something from her other than anger.

How, 'bout it Kelly?

No comments: