Monday, January 28, 2008

Crazy Night


These last couple of days have definitly been crazy. Last night the Falcons played Pasadena. K was taking the Girl to a Father-Daughter dance at her school, so I drove there with S, the Boy's girlfriend. Right before we left, K came to the van to get his phone out of the glove compartment. Then, the door to the glove compartment wouldn't close! That happened in our old Previa too, so wehen we got there, I used the key to see if I could lock the glove compartment closed. I turned the key back and forth, but it wouldn't work. Next thing I knew, the key broke off! In the lock! What the....???

I stuck the key into the ignition, but it would no longer start the car. I called K, who was just walking into the dance.

K - Hi, what's up?
Me - The key broke off!
Silence
Me - I was trying to shut the door to the glove compartment, and the key just broke!
Silence
Me - Hello? Hello? Did you hear me?
Silence
K - Yeah, (pause) I heard you.

Well, I couldn't very well tell him to leave the dance and come get us in an hour, so I told him I'd try to find a ride home. Huh. Stuck in Pasadena with my son's girlfriend. Luckily, I found our neighbor down the street, who was there watching her daughter's game. The varsity girls won by one point in overtime.

The varsity boys had previously lost the last game (at home) to Pasadena by only a few points, so we were hoping for a victorious rematch. Pasadena is the toughest team in our league, altho their recent 37-game winning streak was recently ended by lowly Burbank. One of our starters had gotten into trouble, so a Senior that played last game (when the Boy didn't play at all) was going to start.

The game started out badly, and the starters didn't look very good. The senior that got to start didn't start well at all. They quickly got behind by about 10 points. One of the "best" players on the team had his father there visiting to see the game. He works in another state and isn't getting to see much of his son, who has been a promising player for so long, play in his senior year.

But he was visiting last night, and his son never looked so bad. He was overconfident twice bringing up the ball, and twice had it stripped from him. Plus the opposing player dunked the ball while he was getting up from the floor.

Other guys were out there really trying, but they still couldn't seem to get a rebound or keep Pasadena from going to the hoop.

The Boy had once had a scoring high on this team (28 pts!), so maybe that's why he got to play a pretty long time in this game, but they ended up losing by 18 points. My Boy didn't make many mistakes, and he played pretty well against them. They had him guarding Pasadena's biggest, tallest player! Plus he took it inside a few times and got most of his free throws. So I felt badly for everyone last night, except maybe my Boy.

Then we got a ride home, and arrived home just as K and the Girl were getting home from the dance. I asked S to stay and watch the Girl and pick up the Boy, as we had to ride back to Pasadena to get the van. I'd forgotten that K leaves a lot of his team's equipment (jerseys!) in the back, and I'd been afraid to lock the door since I didn't have a key. The high school isn't in a bad part of town, but I was worried just the same.

Luckily, his gear and the van were still there when we got there, so we drove home without any problem.

We got home and settled in in front of the TV. Then S got a call from her family that her father might be having a heart attack, and she ran out to go to the hospital.

It turned out later that he was OK, but still, what a crazy night!

No comments: