Saturday, August 04, 2007

Pop Media Notes

Zach Efron
was on the view yesterday. Chelsea Handler did the intro, holding a big pillow with a big picture of his face on it, and a Ken-like doll. After he'd greeted everyone and sat down, he gestured toward the pillow and said, "Great! Now you ladies can sit on me whenever you want." Then he seemed to realize that that sounded a little risque', so he tried to recover with, "Or, you can play with the doll." Was that better?

I think HE's a doll.


Harry Potter
No spoilers here, but I just want to say the this last book in the series was the BEST! It's the best of all the books, with maybe the exception of the first. That was exciting too. But #7? Great battle scenes. Epic and sad, too, because in war people die. The author never lets you forget that.

Running with Scissors
This movie was not as funny as I'd hoped. Mostly I thought it was sad that children are subject to the actions of adults who are idiots. Children have no power, and I find it extremely sad that some are born into bad situations.

Smoking Aces
Too gory for me. The story was OK and I liked Jeremy Piven's acting. Also Alicia Keys was really good. But so many people die. I can't beleive my son saw it 3 times and loves it!

The Sopranos
I never weighed in on the Sopranos finale, but I'd like to say that I thought it was perfect. It was like everyone was thinking, "OK, is it really over now? Is it really going to be ok, or do I need to watch out at all times?" And then, blackness. The end. Because that's what it's like, that's what they're lives will always be - watching over their shoulders. I guess if the story had a beginning and an ending, it would be the start and end of his therapy.

OJ's Book
Ever since OJ bumped into me at the Prince concert (see March 07), I've been peripherally interested in him again. I heard them say on "The View" that his book was online, so I searched and found it. (http://static.scribd.com/docs/6jm9e5b451zeu.swf) I had a few hours to kill (ha!), so I read the whole thing. I think it should be called "WHY I did it" instead of "How I did it" (if I did). The book is very, very detailed about their relationship. How they met, how they got married, how they had children... on and on about everything. But when it gets to "The Night in Question" suddenly everything goes blank and then everything is bloody and his friend is saying, "What did you do?"

That's another interesting thing. Supposedly an aquaintance/friend comes over to see OJ that night, with some gossip that Nicole was fooling around in Cabo after OJ left. I think the timing of that is critical, because when they were in Cabo, they were supposedly getting back together. OJ was feeling optimistic then, but changed his mind later. So hearing that she did that at the very time he was "trying", I think that put him over the edge.

Also, if it was true, how do you think that friend felt when it was all over? He goes over there with some news and two people end up dead? Wow. That's a lot of consequence.

Oddly, though, I wasn't more angry with OJ after reading this book. Even tho he goes back to claiming he was "100% Not Guilty" - which is confusing when he'd previously said he did it. I felt more compassion for him after reading it, but more convinced than ever that he did it. Why would anyone write a book like that if they didn't?

No comments: