Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Pop Media Notes



American Idol

For a long time I thought this season was going to be between LaKisha and Melinda, but LaKisha seemed to lose steam along the way. I think it was confusing when Simon started accusing her of yelling during her songs. I really felt it when she sang "Stayin' Alive" and sang the lyrics as "It's alright, it's OK, I'm going to make it anyway." As in anyway, if I don't win.

And it's funny that this week, the judges didn't like any of the songs. If you ask me, it's that the Bee Gee's songs are hard for other people to sing differently. Or show off their voices on. But I loved Jordan's version of To Love Somebody (my favorite Bee Gees song). It's starting to seem to me now like she might win the whole thing. Melinda seems to wear the same expression after every song - an expression that says, "What? Who? Me?"

---------------------

Kelly Clarkson - I got her last CD and came away feeling that either someone had given her a very bad time, or she just made a theme out of being angry at a guy for a CD. But now, her new song is more of the same!! Why all the anger, Kelly?

Carrie Underwood - I like her new song "Before he Cheats" - she looks like Jane in X-men 3, with her walking down the street and things exploding all around her. Very dramatic. Messing up someone's car is one of those things that look satisfying when someone else does it, but people would just be mad at me if I did it. And, while kissing another girl isn't against the law, I'm pretty sure vandalizing someone's car IS. If only she hadn't carved her name into the leather seats, maybe they wouldn't have known exactly who did it!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dancing with the Stars


The night Billy Ray Cirus pulled off his partner's wig was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!!! Poor guy, he seemed pretty freaked out after that...

And to think I'd been scared to watch it because of Heather Mill's leg!

Now we're down to the best dancers, so it's going to be tough. I'm rooting for Mohamad Ali's daughter or Apollo Ono.

Nelly Furtato - didn't she have bangs about 6 months ago? How were they slicked back without showing? Did she get extentions? If so, they looked like healthy hair! What's the deal with that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Working for Jerry Springer

This show is amazing. It's amazing to see these people whose main goal in life is to find people willing to make fools of themselves on TV. Sometimes they have to help get them worked up, or give them suggestions about what to say or things to do that might make a good show. Some look the part of shady or sleazy, but a few look surprisingly all-American. I would hate to have that job. I hope they get paid a lot.

-------------------------------------

Celebrity Fit Club

OMG! I didn't even know this was on again, but now with regular shows ending their seasons, I'm checking around the channels more. Maureen McCormick (from the Brady Bunch) is on it! How shocking is that? This season, people are on who don't necessarily need to lose a LOT of weight, but then even 20 pounds can be a lot. Anyway, that was very surprising. And everyone seems to be fighting with Dustin, the guy who played Screech on "Saved by the Bell."

-----------------------------------------

Making Menudo

I found this on Spanish MTV, but it's broadcast in English. It's great! It's like American Idol building a latino band!

------------------------------------------

The Sopranos
There's a good discussion (bwo letters to the editor) at Salon about the last episode of the Sopranos. Someone launched an interesting theory that Tony killed Christopher because he envied his ability to avoid responsibility, and that's why he took off to Vegas too - to be irresponsible for once.

It's so sad that Tony seems to dislike everyone close to him lately. He had a chance to be the benevolent "Godfather" figure to one of his guy's families, but he instead did what was cheapest for him. I wonder where all this selfishness will end.

I think a good ending would be for the son to get killed, then Meadow runs over to help and get killed, and then Tony retaliate and get killed. Boom, boom, boom. Then the police show up at Carmela's door to tell her the whole family is dead.

That would be a good ending.

-------------------------------
-------------------------------
Note of Clarification:

Just so you all won't think the Girl is not compassionate, she told Dee later that she shouldn't judge a guy because he has a glass eye. She said, "What if everyone was afraid of Lincoln because he had a mole?"

I didn't even know that Lincoln had a mole.

No comments: