Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Politics and Puritans



Yesterday the Girl came home from school complaining about the fierce competition in some vote that's taking place at her school. I guess the entire 4th grade gets to vote on one person to be head of all the 4th graders next week, but they can only vote for a member of Student Council.

The Girl didn't think of asking people to vote for her until she heard someone else do it, and by then one of her good friends had already been asked to vote for another good friend, so she's torn. The Girl is afraid her friend won't be loyal to her. But she says they've all pledged to remain friends no matter what happens.

But it's unfair that other people were lobbying for votes and she wasn't, and she hates it when things are unfair. So do I. I hugged her and told her it was OK with me if she wasn't in charge of all the 4th grade. She doesn't have to do everything.

Then a boy in the running asked another boy to help him get votes, but the "helping" boy got mad at the girls when they wouldn't say they'd vote for his guy, and he started kicking them!

Boy, I guess politics is pretty much the same no matter how old the people are.

----------

The other day the Girl was complaining about a book that was hard to read, and the Boy responded, "Just wait until you have to read The Scarlett Letter!"

I agreed with him, saying, "It's not as colorful as the title would lead you to believe."

He said, "Now we're reading The Crucible! I hate it!"

I said, "Really? That's a play. I kind of liked it."

The Boy said, "No! I've had it with the Puritans!"

and I thought that was pretty funny. No more Puritans for him.

No comments: